Wednesday, December 1, 2010

Mattress

The day my mom came into to town Murray being the wonderful husband he is came home during his lunch break to move our mattress up into the guest room. Murray and I didn't sleep so well that night because air mattresses don't work so well when on tile. I figured out that by putting a blanket under me I stayed warm but that was around 4:00am. My Mom wanted to get us another mattress. The next day we ran around trying to do far too many things with two young children in tow and didn't end up getting the mattress until 9:00pm. Murray ended up taking the girls home from dinner and my mom and I went to get the mattress. This seemed just fine until after buying it they expected me to tie it to the van and drive it home. I almost begged for them to help me at least tie it to the van. Once one guy agreed and helped I realized he had never secured a mattress to a car. Even I was making suggestions. This thing was hanging a foot off each side and was being held by the tiniest piece of twine you have ever seen and I had to get it home? I drove about 10 mph the entire way home and sadly had to make many left hand turns and was unable to see out of my rear view because of a giant box spring blocking the way. I slowed many left lane speeders down that night. I kept thinking "What am I going to do if this thing slides off the top in the middle of the road? I could never get it back up there! Was I going to call Murray to wake up the girls to help us pick a mattress up out of the road. As usual, my worrying was unnecessary. We were blessed and angels held that sucker up there for us, all the way home.

9 comments:

Katie May said...

Bwahah!!! Margaret, you crack me up! Glad you got it home safely!

Lyndi said...

How funny!! This reminds me of how I always have to ask boys for help lifting my bag into the overhead bins on planes. I'm glad you had fun with your Mom!

Zepp Family said...

Ok, now it is obvious why you are so dang cute Margaret....your mother is adorable!!! Sounds like it was a fun visit with Grandma. There is a lot to be said for a decent mattress. Hope you are sleeping and snoring like a champ :)

Justin, Jessica, Kyleigh & Mason said...

How fun!! Glad I'm not the only one that does crazy things with my mom ;-)

Aubrey said...

What an adventure. I'm glad you (and the mattress) made it home safely!

This reminded me of the Brian Regan sketch where he comments about the guy holding the mattress with his arm... :-)

Lant Family said...

That is awesome.

janae said...

I can't believe you guys did it by yourselves!! When Sam and I bought our queen we had to drive it from Sandy to Provo on our little Corolla, and it scared the bejeebees out of me. Luckily my dad had tied it on for us, so it was really secure!

ps. If you had to have called Murray, no one would have blamed you for leaving the girls alone and asleep for 10 minutes. Just saying. :)

Savannah Williamson Photography said...

I am patently waiting for your blog-a-thon...anytime now! I want to see my girls!!!!

Margaret Pratt said...

Thanks for your patients Savannah and the loving reminder to get on the ball!