Thursday, July 31, 2008

California Week 2

So Murray headed back to Mississippi while Mary and I stayed for an extra week. We were very sad he couldn't stay with us but understood he had work to do. I mean it when I say work! Murray put all the insulation in the room upstairs, oversaw drywall, put in a ceiling fan, put primer on the walls and everything else it took to have the room finished with the exception of paint and flooring. All while working at the school as well! It was amazing! The room looks fantastic considering when I left it was 2x4's holding up our roof.

Meanwhile back in California Mary was totally enjoying her grandma, grandpa, aunties, uncles and cousins! I got to spend girl time with my friends :) It was really nice to see them. The weather was amazing! Mary played at the park every evening because it was so nice. Everytime we passed the front door she would point to it and say "owside, owside".

Another thing, I went to California with little Mary who said about 10 words missing a few consonants although in context you could understand what she was saying. However, I came home from California with a little Mary putting three words together regularly her favorite "uh oh da baba" (uh oh the bottle). Now she won't stop talking and I wonder if she ever will.

Here's a picture of Mary with her cousin Celeste.


And here she is with her cousin Parker.



Now, sometimes as a parent I feel like I run into a wall, throw my hands in the air and give up. There are a few things I thought Mary would never do, that is, until Grandma! I have to list a few of Mary's new skills that make my life amazingly better (please don't laugh)

1. She eats (sounds simple I know but it wasn't! Now she eats pancakes, fruit, french toast, chicken, potatoes, etc and it brings me incredible joy!)

2.She drinks water instead of just milk

3.She drinks milk cold instead of only drinking it warmed

4.She can go down stairs on her tummy (I think Lyndi initiated this one and everyone helped)

5.She will lie down in the bathtub making it incredibly easier to wash her hair

I know there are so many other things she learned too and that all the family helped and it was soooooooo nice! They are the best!

When it comes time to potty train Mary guess where we're going. GRANDMA'S!

Eventually it came time for Mary and I to go home. When Murray picked us up from the airport I actually cried, I just love what pregnancy does to me. We had a great time in California and if I haven't said it enough already we love our family!

4 comments:

Murray Pratt said...

I am so glad to have my girls home!

janae said...

Oh yay!! I'm glad week two was better than week one! Isn't it great what grandmas can teach babies that mommys can't seem to do??!

allie said...

I'm glad you guys had fun in California. When you live far away from family, it's always so nice to see them again!

Melissa Lew Heddon said...

Oh, no! I missed you guys while you were out here? :( we need to catch up!