Wednesday, July 30, 2008

California Week 1

I was looking forward to our trip to California so much that I had running lists for weeks for things like what to pack, what to do once we got there, people to see and places to eat. Being pregnant I was really excited about the places to eat! I was seriously looking forward to the two glorious weeks we had planned.

Then the night before we left Mary woke up with a horrible fever, blast! We were up with her all night and exhausted when it came time to leave for the airport. I was still in high spirits, convinced that with my well-packed carry on, tylenol and ibuprofin we would make it. Just a little fever no big deal!

The medicine didn't work, Mary was miserable and if you don't know, airplane seats have gotten smaller. Poor Murray sat in the middle seat with sad Mary on his lap, the seat in front of him reclined as far back as possible and the man next to him practically resting his head on Murray's shoulder. I thought I was going to have an anxiety attack for him.


When the plane finally landed Mary was down to a diaper because she was burning up. She never did sleep on the plane and at this point it felt like midnight to her and us. I thought as long as we can get to the house everything will get better. WRONG! Mary woke up during the night throwing up in bed with us and later in her crib. We had a hard time calming her down and watched Sesame Street Bed Time Stories and Songs several times and walked with her in the backyard. Poor thing. Poor us. The next few days were somewhat difficult. Mary didn't love seeing the family like we "knew" she would and clung to Murray and I for dear life. At this point the only pictures I took of our trip were Murray and Mary lying down together on the couch and in bed. Everybody got sick and it was pretty sad.

Things did start to get better. We went to some of Alex's basketball games, spent time with family we love, went swimming, went to the beach, ate at Tommy's, had a fantastic grandma dinner, ate at in-n-out (I mentioned I was looking forward to the food), went to a fun park with the cousins and even went on a fun date with Murray. We went on a date we used to go on a lot before his mission to downtown huntington beach to walk on the pier and eat coldstone's ice cream. It was so much fun!

2 comments:

Cara said...

Man! It stinks to have a sick baby on vacation. Sorry! I'm glad you were still able to do some fun things. Hopefully everyone is feeling better now!

janae said...

I'm so sorry!! Plane flights with sick kids are no fun, and vacations with sick kids can be even worse because all your hopes of a great time are dashed. I hope everything goes up from here!!